Translate

Tuesday 25 April 2017

Learning from a Soon-To-Be Teacher

For the past 5 weeks, our Grade 5 classroom has had an extra adult, Ms. Dawson, with us on a daily basis. Ms. Dawson is a teacher-candidate in the Lakehead University education program and will soon graduate, becoming a fully qualified teacher.

As teachers, we always welcome an extra set of hands in the classroom, but the value of having a teacher-candidate in our room goes far beyond additional physical support. Teacher-candidates bring fresh enthusiasm and individual strengths to our school. Ms. Dawson has shared her passion for the arts with our students, starting a music club and inspiring us with her love of poetry.

Ms. Dawson expresses her thoughts on the experience in this way:  
The opportunity to be a teacher candidate is extraordinary! A teacher candidate is exposed to the expertise of teachers and practical experience of working with students, while developing and shaping their own teaching style and philosophy. I had the privilege of having not only one, but two teachers to learn from, and 51 students to learn with, during my time at Terry Fox!

Working with Mrs. Kuikman and Mrs. Starr's class for five weeks has been such a rewarding experience. Over the past five weeks we have learned together about poetry, energy, the xylophone, and fractions! I especially enjoyed creating ostinato music/poem creations, the class poetry cafĂ©, and learning the song, "Can't Stop the Feeling" in the 'Music Club' that we created together. Getting to build relationships and learn about the beautiful personalities of each person in the class is something that I will treasure forever. Thank you for sharing your gifts, ideas, and time with me! 

I hope to work with each of you again in the future! J.D.



As we say goodbye to Ms. Dawson, here are some of the students' thoughts about her impact on our classroom.

Having Ms. Dawson here in room 137 & 135 has changed this classroom (in a good way). She has inspired everyone to reach for your dreams and believe in yourself. I love writing stories and poems. Ms. Dawson showed me that if I work really hard, then one day I could maybe publish some of my writing. She told me that I should keep writing and to not give that up. I have always wanted to publish something and Ms. Dawson showed me that it is possible.  We will all miss you. We hope you can come back to Terry Fox and see us again.  K.D.

Ms. Dawson is one of our teachers. We'll miss her forever. She makes us all try our hardest to do our best that we can. She teaches us poetry and taught us to rhyme and so many other things that I don't have time to name. She taught me that dreams aren't hard to reach.  W.B.

Ms. Dawson has changed me since she came. She showed me to have courage. Without her, I wouldn't have enough courage to be in the talent show. Thank you for everything! I hope you have a fun time being a teacher.  A.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment